Ridley School District
Criminal Background Checks for Volunteers
Legislation in Pennsylvania now requires community members and parents/guardians to obtain clearances in order to volunteer in our schools.
A volunteer is any individual in an unpaid position with a program, activity or service who is individually responsible for the welfare of one or more children or has direct contact with children (defined as: the possibility of care, supervision, guidance or control of children or routine interaction with children).
1. Field trip chaperones, 5th grade camp chaperones, volunteer coaches, and similar extended time volunteers must complete all three clearances: Act 34, Act 151, and Act 114.
2. Any volunteer who has not resided in Pennsylvania for 10 continuous years must complete all three clearances: Act 34, Act 151, and Act 114
3. Volunteers residing in Pennsylvania for 10 continuous years, and not a field trip chaperone 5th grade camp chaperone, volunteer coach, or similar extended time volunteer, will need to complete Act 34, Act 151, and the district volunteer affidavit.
*** Please contact the building principal if you are unsure of which clearances are required for your volunteer activities at our schools.
1. Act 34 and Act 151 clearances are free of charge for volunteers only. Act 114 (federal FBI check) requires a $27 fee.
2. Clearances documents may be obtained through the links below:
a. ACT 34—Pennsylvania State Police—Request for Criminal Record Check at https://epatch.state.pa.us/
b. ACT 151—Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance—Online Application at https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
c. ACT 114—FBI—Fingerprinting at https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index.htm
d. District Volunteer Affidavit Form. The form can be found under the Parent Resources tab of the Ridley School District website.
3. Drop off completed paperwork at your child’s school office. Please be prepared to present a valid driver’s license or other valid photo identification.
Last Modified on September 17, 2015